Saturday, July 13, 2013

My Favorite Things About Turkey: A Mixture of Words & Non-Words

With our voyage to Turkey complete, and one last blog left to summarize the events of our 2 weeks spent overseas, I decided it would be best to follow suit from previous blogs, and provide a "best of" Turkey post. Unfortunately, as a fairly considerable amount of time has begun to pass since our arrival back home in the US, I can only promise a fairly half-assed blog, as my creativity has been slowly sucked away by my return to work (staring at excel spreadsheets has less of an inspiring effect than staring at Turkey). Nevertheless, I now present you a mixture of words & photos detailing my favorite things about Turkey:

Food - Despite a first disappointing meal in Istanbul (lack of flavor + crazy old homeless man coughing on your meal = no bueno), every subsequent dining experience was a culinary adventure in deliciousness (yeah, that's right food critics, eat that sentence up for lunch). From never-ending free hotel breakfast buffets (I enjoyed the cheese/cucumber/tomato/nutella rolls the best) to endless combinations of kepabs, the cuisine was a welcome additive to the amazing scenery and sights of Turkey.

"Yes Please" - The ultimate phrase used by any local with the ability to articulate two words of English, "Yes Please" can signify almost any meaning attempting to be conveyed by the speaker. Some common examples: Follow me, please sign here, would you like to enter my local dining establishment, here is your food, please flip over so I may awkwardly massage your inner-thigh. Not a day passed without encountering some variation in the translation of "yes please," thus making it one of the most useful phrases in all of Turkey.

Everything Else - Comprising quite a good deal of "things" as well as "stuff", everything else was definitely one of the more amazing aspects of our trip. From things and stuff to other things and other stuff, I don't think we will ever forget how great "everything else" really was.

And now with that half-assness complete, onto the "non-words":

Amphitheaters - A unique combination of seats, steps & stage, who wouldn't want to visit at least a dozen of these badboys?
"Enjoyment Areas" - Damn enjoyable if you ask me
Turquoise Water - God definitely chose well from his crayola set for this part of the world
Phallic-Shaped Objects - I'm not sure what caused my obsession, although I'm sure Freud would have a word or two to say about it
Baklava - A-maze-ing
Turkish Delight - Nothing sells better than a tasty treat with ED-curing capabilities
Foreign Translations - Always hilarious
Sun Milk - Just like sun tan lotion, yet way more calcium
Wanna-Be Home Depot - I wonder if it is impossible to ever find someone here to help you as well?
Stray Animals - Quite adorable, a little bit less touchable
Male "Friendliness" - Not sure if this would catch on in the US
Airplane Safety - Always remembering to loosen your tie and collar in case of an emergency
Fez - Why the fez not?


And that folks, is that. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment